This episode was inspired by a video on my TikTok about the Biden student loan forgiveness plan and the many comments therefrom, where ordinary people (I presume) fought so hard against the idea of a policy that helps others like them: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRW28eAb/
- Student loan debt forgiveness
- Supreme Court saying “it’s not fair” and has to be done by Congress
- Government effectively forgives hundreds of billions in taxes owed by the wealthy every single year: https://home.treasury.gov/news/featured-stories/the-case-for-a-robust-attack-on-the-tax-gap
- Why working-class people go against their own interests:
- People decide against their best interests based on a false sense of morality and desiring superiority in any way possible
- Concepts like “responsibility and character”
- People want to say “I Am Better Than You” and “you can’t take this from me!”
- Conservative commentators use this contrived sense of morality to talk you out of doing what you know is right
- The conservatives pitching these ideas know they have gotten assistance, PPP loans, filed bankruptcy, etc.
- The wealthy are working you into believing that you are better than other people and are a temporarily embarrassed millionaire
- Dave Ramsey is a top perpetrator of these oppressive ideas
- The morality of conservative rhetoric seeks to subvert what you know is right
- Would you tell a family member who filed for bankruptcy these things? Would you hate on them or would you want them to get the help they need?
- Everyone is flawed, there is no perfection on this side of heaven
- The words “I Earned It” are a double-edged sword
- People think that assistance is coming from earnings/taxes
- The “home budget analogy” theory of political economy is wrong – learn modern monetary theory
- Student loan debt forgiveness does not mean increased taxes!
- People thinking “I’ve got mine, nobody can take it from me.”
- Not wanting to help others or make the system fair just because you had to go through tribulations to gain what everyone deserves to have is a sign of a fragile ego
- Fixing the system doesn’t negate your accomplishments
- Why working-class people oppose minimum wage increases – they think they may be a business owner at some point
- Minimum wage increases statistically don’t hurt small business owners
- It’s hard to accept that “I have a job, I have a boss, and that boss is against me”
- Employers collude to keep wages down
- Class consciousness hurts, but you can fight back against what is hurting you
- Take the pressure off yourself!
- The value to society of professionals and even “worthless” degrees
- The next great scientist or artist is performing below their peak because of the weight of student loan debt
- We are not taking anything from you. We are proud of your accomplishments.
- Make sure the ladder is wide enough so others can come up – Rick Smith
- Fear instilled by the upper class that anything we do to help others can hurt you
- Automatic response driven by the rhetoric you have heard your whole life
- The power of conservative talk radio causing citizens to be repeatedly exposed to these ideas
- Abstraction – it’s a big number, a specific program, I will never need this
- Always make your arguments personal, bring it to the individual or family level
- Lots of possibilities open up when we help others to reach their full potential
- Fear vs turning it into creative flow and abundance toward others
- People who want to stay on top are putting that fear in you
- Turn that fear and feeling weird about changes in how things are done into thinking about the possibilities for a better world
Call in and leave a message with your comments, rants, or dilemmas you’d like me to discuss: 844-477-PUNK (7865)
If you’re looking for my wrestling analysis ahead of AEW Revolution, take a look at my latest article on ProWrestlingMusings.com about the Jon Moxley and Adam Page feud, discussing narratives of “redemptive combat,” their power to help restore men from crisis, and the psychology of how they can improve men’s mental health in ways normal therapy often can’t. https://www.prowrestlingmusings.com/post/entering-jon-moxley-s-narrative-of-redemptive-combat
Off Speed Solutions provides strategy and consulting for advocacy communications, community engagement, day-to-day operational support, and media ecosystems. Learn more at http://www.offspeedsolutions.com
This content is for entertainment and general informational purposes only. We do not warrant or guarantee the accuracy of the information herein. The viewer should not rely solely upon such and consult a competent professional before deciding to follow any course of action.
Follow on TikTok: https://www.TikTok.com/@fixerpunk
Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fixerpunk
Follow on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/greysonnation