Fixing The Fixerpunk episodes cover ideas about changing yourself and society from my own self-development process.
- Life and health issues get in the way of everything
- The best plan can still fail if things happen, and they do
3 assumptions of all kinds of personal improvement programs. Know these and you won’t gaslight yourself as much:
- 1 – Committed to that plan for that goal (not multiple competing interests at the same time)
- 2 – Full compliance
- 3 – Material circumstances and conditions are and remain conducive
- Nothing changes you like material circumstances do.
- Expensive fitness programs and gimmicks
- Physique program from Ultimate Performance that reportedly costs 5,400 Euros in the UK but is also available in the US: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6354871/amp/Would-pay-5-400-six-pack.html
- Financial success stories can be fake
- Miraculous, rapid success stories tend to be based on these assumptions being at an ideal level. They are based on people who are in the perfect condition to succeed.
- In my opinion, it’s not always bad if you cannot meet these, most people can’t! You can still achieve a lot!
- You just have to change things strategically
- It requires more expertise to handle complex situations but most experts can’t seem to do this
- You can achieve and can improve from a bad situation, but it will look different than someone starting from a better point
- Am I fighting hard enough for my goals? It’s hard to know with comparisons that are created by inequality
- There is no such thing as total meritocracy in achieving goals
- The hope you have for your goal affects your adherence. If it’s not hopeful, you are unlikely to prevail.
- We need to create a society with material conditions that create hope for people
- Create a clear vision, but circumstances can cloud that up.
- People will ask “why try?” when outcomes seem bleak because of conditions in the economy and society
- Creating economic hopelessness disincentivizes performance and discipline
- Right now, our system is designed to take your hopes and dreams from you, and the only way to change that is to change material conditions collectively
- Not an excuse to not be disciplined
- We have to create the environment where people have something to hope for, not where the likely outcome is terrible
- Coaching for personal change is way too focused only on the individual and not acknowledging the collective and the assumptions behind the advice
- Coaches tend to see things through the lens of someone who is in perfect material conditions
- The cost of programs and treatments can create a skewed sample and hence skewed success rates
- There are alternative ways to achieve goals outside of what a typical program
- An example from my fitness approach: Why I track my workouts on a weekly basis instead of per day/workout
- Aim for 10-15 sets per week, 8 reps per set near failure
- Taking a “harm reduction approach” to diet: I am obsessed with Fiber One 70 calorie brownies, Quest protein cookies, and Skinny Pop popcorn
- How Dave Ramsey is killing your gains!
- Continuing to go for your dreams under less than ideal economic circumstances
- Good to find exemplars who overcame similar economic circumstances, however these are exceptional people and every person is different, so still don’t gaslight yourself
- Street Fight Radio has been a big example for me
- The collapse of media outlets
- The initial vision of The Fixerpunk Podcast to help those who are in less than ideal circumstances perform at their best, solve everyday life issues, and create a more socially conscious vision for personal development
- Hoping I can make these episodes shorter…or not. If you like it, hate it, whatever, let me know by calling 844-477-7865 or on social media.
Got questions or comments about this episode? Is there another political or social issue you’d like me to cover? Have you faced oppression, have a story about bad bosses, a corrupt company, or another injustice you want to vent or spread the word about? I’d love to hear from you. Call in and leave a voicemail any time, day or night, toll-free at 844-477-PUNK (7865)
Or submit your question by email: email@example.com
Off Speed Solutions provides strategy and consulting for advocacy communications, community engagement, day-to-day operational support, and media ecosystems. Proudly serving nonprofits, political organizations, individual advocates, media and content creators, and socially responsible enterprises. Learn more at http://www.offspeedsolutions.com
This content is for entertainment and general informational purposes only. We do not warrant or guarantee the accuracy of the information herein. This is not medical, financial, or legal advice. The viewer should not rely solely upon such and consult a competent professional before deciding to follow any course of action.
Follow on TikTok: https://www.TikTok.com/@fixerpunk
Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fixerpunk
Follow on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/greysonnation