- Older and disabled people need remote work and can contribute well to society with remote, but young people also highly value remote work
- 2 in 5 Americans would rather die young than live in poverty
- The notion that “If you cannot sit at a desk from 9-5 or beyond every day without variation, you are not of value” is a matter of control, not performance
- The Jobber theory of wanting to have someone to control and manipulate. I explain this in-depth in my interview on the Job Jumpers podcast: https://podcast.greysonpeltier.com/wp/2023/03/19/my-appearance-on-the-job-jumpers-podcast/
- Article discussing the lack of remote work vs. the demand for it: https://www.welcometothejungle.com/en/articles/the-great-mismatch-remote-opportunities-are-decreasing
- ADP report: 60% of job seekers hope to find remote jobs
- In December 2022, Linkedln found that 14% of openings were remote versus 20% last Spring
- A study by ZipRecruiter found that 18-34 year-olds would accept a pay cut between 16-18% to be able to work remotely. This makes companies more profitable!
- Disgusting article in Business Insider claiming they Gen Z hates their jobs because of work from home. It’s corporate leaders’ internal bias in an article. https://www.businessinsider.com/gen-z-millennials-boomers-low-employee-engagement-jobs-productivity-wfh-2023-3?utm_source=reddit.com
- Work from home succeeding but being eviscerated by management is one example why workplace democracy, co-determination, and even unions can make a business more financially successful. Better, happier staff and for less money.
- Blaming employees for everything instead of fixing problems
- Constantly ignoring front-line complaints
- The kinds of risks and investments management take are modulated by worker control
- Regulatory violations may get fixed sooner under workplace democracy or employee ownership. Key example: East Palestine train derailment and unions asking for safety improvements.
- Settling for hybrid
- Desperate for flexible work, people turn to scams like MLMs and extremely low-paying jobs like Mechanical Turk
- Stay-at-home moms trying to get work get scammed by MLMs often
- Tons of YouTube ads for making money online fake guru scams
- If only retail/fast food jobs were better, people would take them for temporary/side money.
- Uber/DoorDash etc. way more popular than fast food restaurant shifts – it’s because of the way they treat people
- I get people in nice cars picking me up for Uber
- Advocacy for workers’ rights and improved pay and conditions continues despite the clamoring for a recession
Get The Latest Insights First
Call In with your comment, rant, or problem you’d like me to discuss on the show: 844-477-PUNK (7865)
Off Speed Solutions provides strategy and consulting for advocacy communications, community engagement, day-to-day operational support, and media ecosystems. Learn more at http://www.offspeedsolutions.com
This content is for entertainment and general informational purposes only. We do not warrant or guarantee the accuracy of the information herein. The viewer should not rely solely upon such and consult a competent professional before deciding to follow any course of action.
Follow on TikTok: https://www.TikTok.com/@fixerpunk
Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fixerpunk
Follow on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/greysonnation